Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Tcl/Tk 8.5.18

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Steven Penny <svnpenn@gmail.com> wrote:
> and have been using different versions of that script since. Installing Tcl/Tk
> with X11 is non-trivial:
>
>     tcl           2,181,674
>     tcl-tk        5,691,785
>     libX11_6        745,228
>     libXau6          18,626
>     libXdmcp6       124,932
>     libXext6        220,188
>     libXft2          42,224
>     libXrender1      29,180
>     libXss1          13,892
>     libexpat1        58,104
>     libfontconfig1  113,264
>     libfreetype6    369,440
>     libpng16        156,684
>     libxcb1          35,116
>     total compressed size: 9,800,337

Based on what I see getting updated, and some of the behaviors of the
resulting install on my three installations, that may be a low
estimate of the impact of X Windows. I'm not sure if the server is
using freetype, fontconfig or expat (it's conceivable) but let's
assume that the server does create those dependencies because a client
is not required to use any of them. The png library would seem to be
no part of X. And then there is the latest visible manifestation of
starting X, the X logo in the corner of the screen.

@Yaakov, many of us have a Cygwin requirement imposed on them for
reasons that maybe even you would argue against. Given that Cygwin
runs in a world where using GDI is economical and using X is costly,
and given that downloading and installing updates is a burden that
seems to grow ever larger as packages sprout dependencies on each
other, I would like to see the emergence of a new consensus that
clarifies to what extent X Windows is important to Cygwin as a whole.
It clearly is important to some programs but is it so essential to the
Cygwin ecosystem that the burden of using X is to be imposed on so
many unwilling Cygwin users?