Re: Updated: make-4.1-1

On 02/16/2015 12:18 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Hi,
> new version 4.1-1 of
>
>   make
>
> is available in the Cygwin distribution

This version of make introduces a regression in VPATH handling.

Bash uses VPATH = .:/path/to/sources

to specify a two-directory VPATH.  Technically, the .: is redundant
(because make will automatically search the current directory before
resorting to VPATH rules), but that hasn't stopped bash from using it
anyways.  (Most automake-based packages only use a one-directory VPATH
designation; but bash doesn't use automake)

The old version of make properly handled this as two directories; but
the new version of make is apparently treating it as a drive letter
directive and failing to look in /path/to/sources.

If I change bash to emit:

VPATH = . /path/to/sources

then things work again.  Likewise if I change it to omit the redundant
leading '.:'.  So I can work around the regression in the meantime.

I'm reporting it here rather than upstream, as drive letter handling may
be cygwin-specific; but you may decide that the regression is upstream.
 Meanwhile, I'll also report to the bash list that use of .: is no
longer portable in VPATH designations.