RE: XWin Server fails to start with keymap failure, strace log attached.

>> This problem started after I updated Cygwin.  I uninstalled Cygwin,
>> deleted all directories, and reinstalled.  No change.
>>
>> /var/lib/xkb/, but this directory didn't exist. â Is does.

>I don't understand this sentence.

One of the pages I found googling said that the /var/lib/xkb was missing, and that the symbloc link pointing to it therefore was pointing to nothing.  The person said he created the directory to get it working.

======
>The cygcheck output looks correct.  I assume you also checked that xkbcomp can be run?

>If you found these instructions on the cygwin website, please tell me where so I can update it.
I found it at http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/153378 the page says cygwin@cygwin.com so I thought it was a mirror to your site.  It must be old stuff.
This directory should exist, containing a README.compiled, created by the xorg-server-common package.

======
>> â  Check that /usr/bin/xkbcomp can be run from a bash shell. If that
>> fails, see if cygcheck /usr/bin/xkbcomp reports any missing DLLs.

>The cygcheck output looks correct.  I assume you also checked that xkbcomp can be run?
I am not sure what the input file should be see all I see is the error message "Error: No input file specified".  If you know what the path is I will run it and see if it works.

========
>FAQ 9.15 also refers you to 9.16, which refers on to [1] for various software which can interfere
>[1] https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

I do have Windows Defender and Malwarebyte installed, but the write up doesn't say the killing them will change anything.
I don't see an option to exit out Widnows Defender and googling seems to talk about turning it on.  What is the defender name so I can kill it in the background via Task Manager?

========

>If that doesn't help, perhaps you can run 'strace -o log XWin' and attach the resulting log file?
Log file attached.  This is what I see in the Cygwin64 terminal.

JohnKerich@JohnKerich-PC ~
$ strace -o log XWin
Could not load crashreporter dll
Could not load crashreporter dll
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.17.1.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 JohnKerich-PC 2.0.2(0.287/5/3) 2015-05-08 17:00 x86_64
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win64)
Package: version 1.17.1-4 built 2015-05-01

winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1680 h 1050
winInitializeScreenDefaults - native DPI x 120 y 120
XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin

(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /home/JohnKerich/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winWindowProc - WM_SIZE - new client area w: 1662 h: 955
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(EE) AIGLX: No native OpenGL in modes with a root window
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) xkbcomp exit status 32512
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
(EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap instead.
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) xkbcomp exit status 32512
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
XKB: Failed to compile keymap
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
(EE) Fatal server error:
(EE) Failed to activate core devices.(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer