Re: Unable to run excel via cron

On 06/23/2015 09:39 AM, Kertz, Denis (D)** CTR ** wrote:
I changed the cron setup to use cygserver as Corinna suggested.  I used
cron-config and cygserver-config to setup the cron and cygserver services
and passwd -R to establish my password.  Normal cron jobs run under this
setup but Excel still hangs as it did before.  I also tried this on the
Win7 PC that I thought worked at one time but it behaved the same with
Excel hanging.

So it looks like Corinna's first case is the situation - there is no
solution.  There apparently is something unique about Excel that will not
run in this Win7 cron environment.

It's actually not unique to Excel and it's not peculiar to Cygwin's cron.
Any program that requires desktop interaction to run would suffer this same
limitation on Vista and beyond if started from a service.  In the Cygwin
environment, cron is run as a service and used to start programs, so it's
the obvious 'culprit' reported here but it's just one of many possible
vectors that exhibit the unwanted behavior on Windows.  Just FYI.

--
Larry