Re: path dependent on drive in cygwin

Greetings, John Norris!

> Hi,
> I am running cygwin 1.7.x on Windows 2008. I realise this may be out of
> date but this is what we are using.
> I have noticed that the path variable for our build user is dependent
> on where "cmd /C" is run from.
> Please see below - I have cut back the PATH so that it does not
> overwhelm. Notice the extra C; before the non cygwin entries. And when
> run from e drive, the C; remains but the c: becomes e:. And this is the
> problem - the path when run from c is messy but works. The path when run
> from e (which is where we do run from) does not work.

> Can anyone explain this. I guess one way round this is to explicitly
> call the necessary programs without relying on PATH. But interested why
> this happens.

> Regards,
> John

> $ /c/windows/system32/cmd
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

> C:\>path
> path
> PATH=C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\Cygwin\bin;C;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;C;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;C;

How does it help starting CMD from bash?
Start it without bash and show the output of PATH command.
Or, better, show the output of

cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Environment/PATH" | tr ";" "\n"
cat "/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Environment/PATH" | tr ";" "\n"

Or, even better,

With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Thursday, July 2, 2015 19:35:07