Re: Isuse with xwin-xdg-menu "View logfile"

On 07/07/2015 04:13, Michael DePaulo wrote:
First of all, let me say how much I like xwin-xdg-menu. Thumbs up to
Jon Turney, and to all the other developers like Yaakov Selkowitz who
work on related components/package for Cygwin/X.

Anyway, when I do the following:

$ xinit -- -multiwindow

 From the xterm that automatically launches:
$ xwin-xdg-menu

XDG Menu > View logfile

I then see this:

executing 'xterm -title '/dev/pty1' -e less +F /dev/pty1', pid 1292
(pid 1292 stderr) Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
(pid 1292 stderr) Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
pid 1292 exited with status 0

(The xterm window flashes briefly, and then disappears.)

Is /dev/pty1 the log file we should be trying to open?

I am not even sure what log file should be opened. Personally, I would
have assumed it is the X Server's log file.

That's hard to do with full generality, as we would need to know or discover what -logfile option the server was given.

I see that this is the relevant code:
https://github.com/jon-turney/xwin-xdg-menu/blob/51ae0ec7f225b8257ba64ce5318b857bf9ce8450/execute.c#L236

I made a small update to today, which includes a change to remove the "View logfile" menu item if stdout is a tty, which should avoid this problem scenario.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer