Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.1.0-0.4

On 07/08/2015 01:39 PM, Warren Young wrote:

>> - New API sigaltstack, plus definitions for SA_ONSTACK, SS_ONSTACK, SS_DISABLE,
>>  MINSIGSTKSZ, SIGSTKSZ.
>
> Since these were entirely missing before, this canât be tested without rebuilding software, right?  When rebuilt, existing Cygwin packages may discover the new APIs via autoconf or similar.
>
> A search for "sigaltstackâ on code.openhub.net found only 95 projects with this string in their source code, almost entirely consisting of *receivers* of that call, such as NetBSD, glibc, and a bunch of Linux forks.

libsigsegv is a cygwin package (currently 32-bit only) that has
configure checks to use sigaltstack if present; I have not yet tested if
it can be configured to work with the new API, but hope to do so in the
near future.  In fact, if sigaltstack works, it may finally be possible
to port libsigsegv to 64-bit cygwin (the reason the current package is
not ported to 64-bit is that libsigsegv is relying on raw assembly and
Windows native calls to emulate the lack of sigaltstack; but if
sigaltstack works, then we don't need to port the 64-bit counterpart for
the 32-bit specific hacks).

I'm not the cygwin packager for libsigsegv, but am one of the upstream
contributors, and so this thread has piqued my interest.  Sadly, I'm a
bit late to the testing because I was on vacation last month, and am now
trying to catch up with several things that happened during my
(much-needed) downtime, such as a new upstream release of coreutils.