Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.2.0-1

Greetings, Nicholas Clark!

> I totally agree that setting HOME to a relative-path is probably a Bad
> Idea, and can/should be undefined behavior. As for absolute paths (and
> whether they should be POSIX, Windows, or either), that's a little
> less cut and dry for me.

> I currently use a ton of scripts of the general form:

> --------
> Cygwin.bat:
>    @echo off

>    @pushd %~dp0
>    @set TOP=%CD%
>    @popd

This wraps into

SET TOP=%~dp0

(If at all necessary to wrap it like that.)

>    set PATH=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32;C:\Windows

SET PATH=%~dp0installation\usr\sbin;%~dp0installation\bin;%SystemRoot%\System32;%SystemRoot%

>    @set HOME=%TOP%\home\%username%
>    @chdir %TOP%\installation\bin

That's just plain wrong and should not be done to begin with.

>    @start mintty.exe -e %TOP%\installation\bin\bash.exe --login -i

START /B mintty.exe -

>    exit

Don't call "EXIT" unless you have no other choice.

> for using Cygwin in a user-level installation to my local directory.

Cygwin don't care, what level you are using it from, as long as the
environment is set up correctly.

> It's not a big deal to go through these and update them if Cygwin
> loses its ability to interpret Windows-style HOME paths, but there are
> probably a lot of users out there who aren't on the mailing list and
> wouldn't know that this change was happening until their installations
> broke.

> So I'm in camp 'leave it as-is', maybe with the exception of
> disallowing relative paths. :)

I don't know how to say it politely, so I would be blunt: Your setup is wrong.
There's at least two ways to do it right, but none of them is coming close to
what you have right now.
Cygwin offers ability to make all you want pretty straight without any
tantric scripts.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin