Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version

Thanks for the quick response!

> 2) The 'touch' command creates a file with the executable bit set

> [user@hostname ~]$ touch newfile.txt
> [user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
> -rwxrwx---+ 1 user Domain Users 0 Sep 22 17:21 newfile.txt

> I am fully aware that Windows programs (e.g. Eclipse and Windows
> Explorer) will create files with the executable bit set due to ACL and
> NTFS permissions. However, if I 'touch' a file inside an earlier version
> of Cygwin

Define "earlier" ? The permissions handling has been extensively rewritten
since 1.7.34.

Probably from a few months ago, but I can't confirm. I've been trying to
figure out how to revert back to an earlier version to verify this. Where
can I find archived versions of Cygwin?

> the file would be created without the executable bit set (i.e. 644).

Which will then prevent opening it from Explorer by file association.

Not really... In the above example if I 'chmod 644 newfile.txt' in Cygwin,
Windows can still open up the file in notepad by just double-clicking on the
file. Checking the file permission under Windows shows "Special permissions"
checked. It also works even if I remove the ACL bit shown below:

[user@hostname ~]$ chmod 644 newfile.txt
[user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
-rw-r--r--+ 1 user Domain Users 0 Sep 23 10:30 newfile.txt
[user@hostname ~]$ setfacl -b newfile.txt
[user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 user Domain Users 0 Sep 23 10:30 newfile.txt

At this point I double-clicked on the file in Explorer and it opened in
Notepad, which I then added a line of text and saved it.

[user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 user Domain Users 18 Sep 23 10:32 newfile.txt
[user@hostname ~]$ cat newfile.txt
this is a new file
[user@hostname ~]$

> To be honest, I can't tell if this is caused by the new version of
> Cygwin or a Windows Update.

Likely it is caused by the change in Cygwin permissions handling.
It now correctly inherit permissions in most cases.

> [user@hostname ~]$ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW hostname 2.2.1(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-20 11:40 i686 Cygwin

Regards,
~WL