Re: Issues encountered with new Cygwin version

On 24/09/2015 07:35, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> 2) The 'touch' command creates a file with the executable bit set
>
> [user@hostname ~]$ touch newfile.txt
> [user@hostname ~]$ ls -l newfile.txt
> -rwxrwx---+ 1 user Domain Users 0 Sep 22 17:21 newfile.txt

It likely depends on the inherited permissions from the directory

BINGO! Looks like starting 1.7.34 the file permissions were "fixed" to
exhibit this new behavior
(https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-02/msg00009.html). After
reverting back to 1.7.33 I was able to get the previous behavior back.

This is very unfortunate because I'm using Git in Cygwin specifically because it doesn't set the executable bit like Windows applications. With this new behavior, trying to rebase or cherry-pick causes merge conflicts because any file touched by Git will have the executable bit set. Additionally, trying to do a 'reset --hard' doesn't work anymore since the executable bit stays on with the new file permission behavior, so you'll never really return to the previous state.

Yes, I can always set 'filemode=false' to ignore file permissions, but I
still want to be able to enforce the correct file mode upon commits.
Suggestions?

Regards,
~WL