Re: How to correctly rebase?

On Oct 14, 2015, at 8:17 AM, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:

> telling me to place the list of absolute paths  of my personal DLLs into
> /var/lib/rebase/user.d/Rainerâ

It doesnât actually care what the file is called.  I expect the only reason the docs tell you to name it that way is in case there are multiple users on the system, theyâre all running from a common Cygwin installation, and each may have their own set of customizations.

> to run  "rebase-trigger fullrebase" (it
> didn't advice to run this from a privileged account, but I found out my-
> self)

I donât see that itâs a foregone conclusion that admin privs are required for that step.  The file that script creates could be in a user-writeable directory.  Nevertheless, the maintainer of that doc file probably should consider mentioning the possibility.

While investigating this, I found that the rebase mechanism isnât as robust as it should be.

The core problem I ran into is that /var/cache/rebase and /var/lib/rebase/*.d didnât exist on my system, and this caused various complaints and failures.  I propose that the _autorebase maintainer add those directories to the package, so theyâre always available.

/var/cache/rebase is the critical one: without it, the rebase-trigger script canât set the trigger, so the rebasing will never happen.  The lack of the others just causes nonfatal complaints.

To do it by hand, start Dash with admin privs as you did before â this next bit really does require admin â then type:

    /etc/postinstall/0p_*

If it gives errors other than ones about missing /var/lib/rebase/*.d directories, post them here, or fix them.  Once I fixed all the errors I got here, full autorebasing via setup.exe started working again.

(Which makes me wonder how it got broken, since the Windows VM I tested this on isnât used heavily, and was created not all that long ago.)

> After doing so, I rebooted and tested again

You should not have to reboot.  If you do, it means youâre ignoring complaints from setup.exe about files being in use during the installation, which could be part of the problem.

Shut down *everything* linked to cygwin1.dll, however indirectly, while setup.exe and the rebasing processes run.

> PS: Please also reply by personal mail to me,  as I am not subscribed to
> this mailing list.

You expect direct personal consultation?  My fee for that is $100/hr, and youâve chewed up one hour already.  Where shall I send the bill? :)

If you want free community help, you are expected to participate in the community.  Iâm Ccâing you directly on this one just as a courtesy.