Re: Using cp converts windows junctions to a cywin symlink; a security-config override

Greetings, Linda Walsh!

>> > I was copying a directory of files, some of which were windows junctions.
>> > These got converted to a cygwin symlink.  Although I am impressed that there
>> > are such a thing for those OSs/drives that do not support such things, for those
>> > that do, I think it would be good to keep the copy a junction.  Otherwise,
>> > things can get messy.

>> > Can this be corrected?
> ---

> (BTW -- you do know about the 'winsymlinks:native' setting in the
> CYGWIN environment variable?  It might be of some use.)

> Andrey wrote:
>> Unfortunately, even on systems, that do support symlinks functionality,
>> it is restricted by UAC and not easily unlocked.
> ---
> Actually that's control by Windows group policy.

Yes, I know. But when UAC is enabled, it overriding this policy setting.
That's why I said that you need either admin console, or UAC turned off.

> It's alot like whether not 'users' can control 'mounts' on linux.
> It can be allowed, but doing so categorically might not be considered
> wise.

Microsoft does not follow common logic.

>> You'd need an admin shell or a user profile with UAC turned off and
>> permissions correctly configured to exploit native symlinks.
> ---
> Or the system administrator would have to enable user-control of local
> symlinks.

> On my windows machine, unprivileged users are able to create all 4 types
> of symbolic links.

Do you have UAC enabled?

>> And Cygwin does not support creation of directory junctions to the best
>> of my knowledge. :(
> ---
>         Neither does linux support creation of user-controlled mounts.

However, Windows allows creation of directory junctions just fine.
But blocks Symlinks.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin