Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.4.0-0.11

On Dec 17 13:47, Ken Brown wrote:
Hi Corinna,

Hi Ken,

On Dec 16 18:12, Ken Brown wrote:
- The header file layout has been cleaned up, mostly in terms of the
    sys/select.h, sys/signal.h and sys/types.h files.  This is a generic
    change in newlib and aligns the affected headers more closely to
    the FreeBSD layout.

These changes are leading to lots of errors when building emacs:

/usr/include/cygwin/signal.h:178:3: error: unknown type name âpthread_attr_tâ

/usr/include/cygwin/signal.h:213:3: error: unknown type name âpid_tâ

/usr/include/cygwin/signal.h:230:2: error: unknown type name âtimer_tâ

/usr/include/sys/signal.h:211:6: error: #error You need the winsup sources or a cygwin installation to compile the cygwin version of newlib.

/usr/include/sys/signal.h:214:5: error: unknown type name âpthread_tâ

/usr/include/sys/time.h:104:34: error: unknown type name âu_intâ

[... and many more]

This puzzles me.  It looks like you're missing sys/types.h when
including sys/signal,h, but sys/signal.h includes sys/types.h by
itself, prior to including cygwin/signal.h.

How can I reproduce this?  An STC like this:

   #include <signal.h>
   main () {}

is definitely not sufficient.

Sorry, I hadn't looked at what was happening closely enough before sending
my mail.  The errors occur while compiling some Gnulib modules in the emacs
source tree.  It may take me a while to sort this out. Maybe Gnulib will
have to be patched to take Cygwin's new header layout into account.

I'm still puzzled.  The changes, especially to sys/signal.h and
cygwin/signal.h are rather minor.  The really big thing is to move the
macros related to select(2) from sys/types.h, where they never really
belonged to, into sys/select.h, rather than including sys/types.h from
sys/select.h.  Especially the changes to sys/signal.h and cygwin/signal.h
don't really add up to the error messages you encounter.  I inspected
the files today and I really don't see how this could happen :(

Here's what happens:

One of the Gnulib modules includes sys/types.h, which includes sys/select.h because of the recent changes. This brings in Gnulib's sys/select.h, which includes signal.h. We then get the errors I posted because we haven't yet finished including sys/types.h.

All the build errors disappear if I remove '#include <sys/select.h>' from sys/types.h. You said above that the macros related to select don't really belong in sys/types.h. So why does the latter include sys/select.h?

Ken