Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.4.0-0.12

On Dec 18 17:07, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > I released TEST version 2.4.0-0.12 of Cygwin.
> >
> > Compared to 0.11 there's only a single change:
>
> With the three machines at home (in the same workgroup, but all with
> local accounts) listing the foreign exported file systems shows the
> owner/group as "Unknown+User Unknown+Group".  Windows on the other hand
> takes a breath and the shows me "Machine\User Machine\Group".  I've set
> name resolution in nsswitch.conf to "desc db", is this supposed to work
> this way?

For the time being, yes.  I think I documented this in
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html.  The windows UIs show the
owner of a file knowning the server to fetch the user info from.  Cygwin
doesn't ATM, since the entire functionality to fetch the info is hidden
behind the getpwXXX/getgrXXX calls, which have no idea where this call
is coming from.  For the time being, create /etc/passwd and /etc/group
entries for your other machines.  Patches welcome to extend the getpw/
getgr functionality to fetch user info from non-local/non-AD machines.

Corinna

Red Hat