Re: rxvt for cygwin64?

On 12/24/2015 3:27 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 24/12/2015 09:12, qrasmfu8f4@snkmail.com wrote:
>> I've been using cygwin's rxvt (without X) for years, and prefer it to
>> mintty both because I use rxvt on all my linux machines and because
>> I've never liked putty.  Despite most (but not all) of my Windows
>> machines running 64-but windows7, I've procrastinated on switching to
>> cygwin64, but I recently had to replace my laptop with a new Windows
>> 10 machine, and figured I might as well install cygwin64.  Everything
>> went well until I discovered rxvt is not available in 64-bit.  I found
>> this thread (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00016.html) from
>> 9/2013 in the archives, but there doesn't seem to have been any
>> resolution.
>>
>> Is there any plan to port rxvt to cygwin64?
>
> no plan.
> rxvt is dead upstream, and rxvt without X is a hell and without
> a maintainer by long time

Uhm not really a hell but is troublesome.  You need to build the windows
X emulation pieces first.  The fact that upstream maintenance is dead
will be a bigger issue.  There may need to be items you need to deal
with at the 64bit level.

> mintty is a much better solution and with an active maintainer

Your opinion on the bike shed color but the fact that there is active
development is a plus.

--
cyg Simple