Re: cygwin.dll: bug with select on Windows console

John Hood wrote:
More observations:

* This also happens on a Windows 8.1 VDI install with a different AV/security
solution-- different enough from my machine that I don't think the Windows/app
environment is the cause of this, it looks more strongly like a Cygwin issue to me.

* <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/pselect.html>
clearly states that select() must zero out all FD_SET bits when it returns 0.

* Moving the mouse cursor around over the console window (at a bash prompt,
without mouse modes enabled) makes this issue happen *much* more frequently.

I've looked at the Cygwin source for select(), and maybe other folks have, so the issue is not being ignored at least. It seems to me this odd case (not clearing the fd sets on zero return) is being overlooked by Cygwin's rather hairy select() implementation. But I'm just a guy on the mailing list and the definitive answer awaits the return of seasoned Cygwin developer(s). :-)

I'd investigate further but on current Git sources, 'make' fails for me with this:

/home/cgull/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/configure: line 2164: syntax error
near unexpected token `..'
/home/cgull/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/configure: line 2164:
`NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)'

Are you following the instructions in the FAQ, Section 6.21? It's not difficult to build the Cygwin DLL but you do want to follow the FAQ because there are numerous cul-de-sac opportunities otherwise.

..mark