Re: Cannot Run Executable Files

On Jan 7, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-07 20:14, Zac G. Al Wakeel wrote:
>> Thank you Warren, it worked. But what would you suggest for future? I can't
>> leave the machine without antivirus
>
> Start by choosing one NOT on this list:
>
> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Are you certain that Windows Defender belongs on that list?  I’ve run it for years without problems.

Microsoft has different incentives to provide antimalware software than the third-party commercial providers, which I find provides better outcomes:

1. Defender doesn’t have to trigger all kinds of false positives to “prove” that it’s doing things for you, so you’re scared into paying them again next year.

2. It’s from the OS provider, so it naturally does its thing using MS-provided mechanisms, instead of the shady API hooking that other antimalware providers use.

3. Microsoft would prefer that you believe there is no malware problem, so it takes as few running resources as possible, and pops up only when it’s really necessary.

IMHO, there is no reason to run anything other than Microsoft’s antimalware offerings.  Microsoft finally took ownership of this problem, and is now doing a good job of trying to solve it.