Re: Windows XP Support

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Juan Miguel Navarro MartÃnez wrote:
> No software version can live forever, ... <snip>

Personally, I have to disagree with this statement, or at least offer
an amendment...

I have some things still running in DOS 5 in a virtual machine because
that is the most effective environment to run them in, and I don't
expect any future OS to change that.  Does this mean I have these
accessible to the outside world?  Absolutely not.  So while I do see
use cases for very long outdated packages, I will also agree these use
cases are not mainstream by any means, and if your use case does
warrant an old package, appropriate measures to isolate the old
packages also need to be taken.

That said, I will be making an internal mirror for my XP stations
before XP support is dropped as well.  I can certainly understand not
maintaining backward compatibility for an old system that should no
longer be placed in a position where it can be attacked.

-- Erik