Re: Any progress on "Fork issues ith long command lines and long $PATH"?

[Please don't top post.]

On 1/19/2016 6:34 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
Regarding my choice of terms: I was trying use terms consistent with that old link
"https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";.

That message doesn't even mention emacs. That's why I said in my first reply to you that I couldn't make much sense of what you wrote.

(1) So is there a fix for the problem described in this link "https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00416.html";? According to
Corinna Vinschen's comments it is a Cygwin problem, not an emacs problem. I would love to have a fix.

I still don't know the connection between that message and emacs. Could you say exactly what problem you're having?

(2) I was using $USERPROFILE as an example. We have dozens of these environment variables pointing to dozens directories. They enable us to type in the same file name to emacs's find file (ctrl-x-ctrl-f) regardless of who is logged in or which computer we are logged into (assuming that every account has the same directory structure and propertly defined environment variables).  Yes we can manually translate them at a bash prompt but this is a lot more typing, cutting and pasteing. We also share the same .emacs file that contains thousands of file names that contain these environment variables. We will really missing feature of native emacs.

The fact that C-x C-f expands environment variables is not a special feature of native Windows emacs. But the expansion has to yield a valid file name. In the case of Cygwin emacs, that means a Posix path.

Maybe you could write a script that uses cygpath to convert the relevant environment variables to Posix paths, and then call this script from your .bashrc.

Ken