Re: Performance of "ls -F"

On Jan 22 07:30, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Bill Smith <bsmith <at> progress.com> writes:
> > The difference is 1.3 seconds versus 1 minute 7 seconds.  The directory is
> identical on the two NetApps and
> > they both contain ~29K files.  C-dot (Cluster Data On Tap) is the newest
> operating system for the NetApp.  It
> > also supports the newer SMB protocols.
> >
> > I also tried the experiment with MKS Toolkit 8.6 and in both cases, it
> takes around .1 seconds.
>
> Could you please show the result for running /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo on the
> two directories?

Just a hint:  ls -F requires to stat every single file.  stat in turn
requires to load not only the usual metadata but also to fetch the ACL
and convert it to POSIX permissions.  If the ACL hasn't been created
with Cygwin 2.4.0, an additional number of AuthZ calls might be
performed with the number of calls == the number of different user
accounts in the ACLs of all files.  Which means, there are quite a few
packages going over the network.  Assuming this slow access only occurs
under 2.4.0, this might be one of the reasons to allow the user to
disable Authz processing (you have been warned, yada yada).  If that's
*not* the problem, we certainly need more details.  Like debugging
results to find out where the time is spent.

Corinna

Red Hat