Re: snapshots (archive files) are too big ... Why?

On 2016-01-23 19:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jan 23 13:59, Houder wrote:
Hi Corinna,

Just curious if there is a reason ...

I was able to extract cygpath.exe from cygwin-inst-20160121.tar.xz
(snapshots)
in order to test your last modification to cygpath.cc. No problem here.

However, when examining the contents of the archive, I was surprised to find
the SAME version of cygpath.exe at least three times ...

The size of cygwin-inst-<date>.tar.xz (and cygwin-src-<date>.tar.xz) has
grown
(suddenly) by a factor of 3 or 4 since 2015-07-20 ...

The same applies to winsup-src-<date>.tar.xz (since 2016-01-15) ...

In all cases it is because the archive contains the SAME version of a file
at
least three times (as far as I can tell).

To summarize: No, I am not reporting a problem here; I am just _curious_ as
why these archive are so much bigger than they (apparently) need to be ...

I found out why this happens, I just don't know why it only occurs since
2015-07-20.

The reason is the script is using an expression along the lines of

  find ... | tar -T - --no-recursion -cjf ...

It turns out that the --no-recursion option only works for me, if it
comes *prior* to the expression specifying the filenames to archive.
That is, I had to change the script to use

  find ... | tar --no-recursion -T - -cjf ...

instead.  Funny enough, `info tar' still contains an example using
the original order...

Ah, thank you for the effort you took and for your explanation. (yes,
the reason for the "big" files was simpler than I was guessing at).

However, I cannot confirm your finding at my end (using Cygwin). Still,
I am sure you will take another look at the size of a snapshot when you
create one the next time :-)

Thanks!

Regards,
Henri