Re: Fwd: Limited clipboard buffer between X11 apps and Microsoft Windows

On 19/11/2015 12:30, Jon Turney wrote:
On 17/11/2015 18:57, Kevin Connor Arpe wrote:
My issue: Copying text between X11 apps and Microsoft Windows has
limited clipboard buffer.  My office co-worker and I were able to
replicate the same issue on our machines.

To replicate:
1) Run Cygwin X Server locally.
2) Run gedit remotely (using company Linux hosts) and redirect display
to our local Cygwin X Server.
3) Copy some text in gedit, paste in Windows app, e.g. Notepad.

We are able to find a limit (approximately 1000+ lines of text).  To
be very clear:  We can copy small amounts to text, but not large
amounts of text.

My co-worker found this historical Cygwin mailing list item.  It looks
very similar:
http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/emacs-x11-new-clipboard-size-limitation-td104696.html

When the copy/paste fails, I see the following in
/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log:
[298268.591] winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify -
X*TextPropertyToTextList returned: XConverterNotFound

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a recurrence of the regression in
that old report.

Briefly, there is a different protocol [1] for transferring clipboard
contents too large to fit in a single X protocol message (approximately
262144 bytes), which is not currently implemented by the X11/Windows
clipboard synchronization code.

Your estimate of 1000 lines seems a little low, but in my testing this
is the limit I hit.

[1]
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/icccm/icccm.html#INCR_Properties

This should be fixed in X server 1.18.1-1 I uploaded today.

Note there is still a limit of approx. 16MB when copying in the opposite direction (from a Windows app to an X11 app), but that is harder to fix...

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer