Re: ctrl-c doesn't reliably kill ping

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 02:00:38PM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Frank Farance!
>
> > A little digression, so you understand the background ... The workstation I am
> > doing this from is connected to a Verizon router to their FIOS network.  Now the
> > reason I mention this is that the router's DNS (via DHCP to my workstation) is
> > 192.168.1.1, which I presume is forwarded from the router upstream to Verizon's
> > DNS caches.  So if I type the URL http://something.that.doesnt.exist in my
> > browser, rather than getting a Hostname Not Found error (at the name resolution
> > level), it actually loads up a page saying "something.that.doesnt.exist" isn't
> > found and then I have a Yahoo set of search results on things matching the
> > broken hostname.
>
> > So all of this is normal ISP stuff: they actually resolve unknown addresses to
> > their own website (which is 90.242.140.21).
>
> This is NOT "normal", this is a violation of protocol.
> Whoever encounter such behavior should call their ISP and tell them to stop
> doing it.

It's both normal and a violation of protocol -- a lot of DNS servers,
will replace an NXDOMAIN response will "hijack" the query and return
something that punts the user onto a search page with advertising.

Regardless of how (non-)compliant the system's DNS servers are with the
relevant RFCs, ping's behaviour should never be to hang in the way Frank
is describing.