Re: Possible bug: ssh-host-config - getent when computer name is "-" (dash)

On 3/24/2016 11:43 AM, Dirk Fassbender wrote:
> Am 24.03.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Unknown Sender:
>> I noticed this bug for the first time today on a computer that has the
>> computer name "-" (dash).
>>
>> During ssh-host-config:
>> *** Query: Do you want to use a different name? (yes/no) no
>> /usr/bin/getent: invalid option -- '+'
>> Try `getent --help' or `getent --usage' for more information.
>> *** Query: Create new privileged user account '-\cyg_server' (Cygwin
>> name: 'cyg_server')? (yes/no) yes
>>
>> I suspect this has to do with the computer name because getent &
>> ssh-host-config have never failed this way for me before. Moreover
>> getent seems to be able to query the computer name, and the error
>> message makes me think that it may be connected.
>>
>> I included the 2nd query just to show that it continued the process
>> after the error occurred. I'm not sure if this error is going to cause
>> problems down the line.
>>
>> Will I be encountering tons of problems with a computer name of "-"?
>> It seems to only be a problem right here & right now.
>>
> Hello,
>
> the computer name "-" (dash) is illegal in the internet.

Uh, that isn't true.

> So many network utilities will have problems with this name.

This might be true but doesn't invalidate the use of the hyphen.

> See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname
> for a start about host name definitions.
>

>From this reference:
"The Internet standards (Requests for Comments) for protocols mandate
that component hostname labels may contain only the ASCII letters 'a'
through 'z' (in a case-insensitive manner), the digits '0' through '9',
and the hyphen ('-'). The original specification of hostnames in RFC
952, mandated that labels could not start with a digit or with a hyphen,
and must not end with a hyphen."

Note that hyphen (a.k.a. dash) is permitted.

--
cyg Simple