Re: git and absolute Windows-style paths

Here's a patch for git 2.8.1 that I wrote for MSYS2 to address the
same issue. Because I'd read this thread before I started working on
it (and generally since it's good to) I kept it in mind to make it
work for Cygwin in-case you wanted to use it:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/6b7aceea4ad2e5bd28143a2de8c4a0d7453013dc/git/git-2.8.1-Cygwin-Allow-DOS-paths.patch

I'm running the test-suite now which takes an age, but I don't see any
problems with it so far. I didn't add any tests covering using DOS
paths though. I've tested it with git add and clone with DOS relative
and absolute paths.

Best regards,

Ray.