Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:49:18AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Brian Clifton!

Secure connections historically had a high overhead, sure, but that's
very rarely the case nowadays.  Certainly my experince of loading the
Cygwin web page is that there's no perceptible difference between the
http and https versions.  Adam Langley (a senior engineer at Google)
wrote an article back in 2010 about how TLS is now computationally
cheap[0]; it's only gotten cheaper since.

[0]: https://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

See also https://istlsfastyet.com/, which has a lot of discussion about
the impacts of TLS, but the short answer is "yes".

At the very least, the Cygwin website should be using protocol-
independent links, meaning users accessing the website using https
aren't switched to http when they click on a link (i.e. link to
"//cygwin.com/path/to/page" rather than "https://cygwin.com/..."; or
"http://cygwin.com/...";).  But I agree with Brian: the Cygwin website
should use https everywhere unless there's some good, specific reason
why it's a bad idea.  And "TLS is slow" hasn't been a good reason for
years.

Adam