Re: [RFC] splitting documentation

On 19/05/2016 22:34, Marco Atzeri wrote:
To move the documentation in a noarch package
I split lilypond in two source packages.

http://matzeri.altervista.org/noarch/lilypond-doc/
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86/lilypond/
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86_64/lilypond/

The documentation is just a copy of the upstream PDF so :
- the source package is a dummy to avoid data duplication

I can see why you want to do this, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

One reason being, *IF* we were to ever end up in the situation where only source packages were uploaded, and some build service constructed the binary packages, that builder would not be permitted to download arbitrary files.

- the install phase phase grab the files from upstream an put in
the proper directory.

Question:
- How to properly replace the old layout with the
 new in upload ?

I expect that "calm" could complain about:

x86/release/lilypond/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.37-1.tar.xz
noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.42-1.tar.xz

Yes, this is not permitted (at the moment). All versions of a package in the package set for a given arch must lie on the same path.

(This limitation is tangled up with how we determine if a package upload is permitted, so isn't straightforward to remove)

Should I move both as :

noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.37-1.tar.xz
noarch/release/lilypond-doc/lilypond-doc-2.19.42-1.tar.xz

Move the existing 2.19.37-1 x86/x86_64 package to noarch, then upload of 2.19.42-1 will be permitted (using cygport 0.22.0 or later, which knows to upload noarch packages to noarch/ paths)