Re: Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS

On May 22 00:29, Brian Clifton wrote:
> >On Apr 24 17:18, Brian Clifton wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I have a proposed change for the web site. This patch (see below) will update most of the urls to HTTPS. In many cases there was a redirect; for those I captured the new canonical address.
> >>
> >> (Per the https://cygwin.com/contrib.html, this is *not* a change to
> >> anything in the winsup directory, which is why I chose the
> >> cygwin@cygwin distro)
> >>
> >> The patch can be found here:
> >> https://patch.clifton.io/cygwin/cygwin-htdocs_bsclifton_https_20160424
> >> .patch
> >
> >Thanks for the patch, but, here's a question:
> >
> >Since Cygwin.com redirects http requests to https anyway, all links to cygwin.com (or, FWIW, sourceware.org) will end up as https requests anyway.
> >
> >Having said that, wouldn't it make sense then to avoid absolute links to cygwin.com and rather convert them to relative links, i.e.:
> >
>   >-<a href="http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg02182.html";>Inspired</a> by
>   >+<a href="/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg02182.html">Inspired</a> by
> >
> >?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Corinna
>
> Good points Corinna; I updated the patch to use relative URLs (attached). If the attachment does not work for some reason, it can also be downloaded from here:
> https://patch.clifton.io/cygwin/cygwin-htdocs_bsclifton_https_20160521.patch

Thanks for doing that, but this patch can't apply.  Please note that the
cygwin-api, cygwin-ug-net, and faq subdirs are maintained as part of the
cygwin repo itself and are in XML, not in HTML.  Only the generic stuff
is maintained in the htdocs repo.

On second thought, using relative paths inside the Cygwin docs
(cygwin-api, cygwin-ug-net, and faq) is not such a bright idea, because
the docs should ideally work even if not on the cygwin.com website.
Sorry about that, but I didn't notice that your patch also changes
the Cygwin docs :}

Can you please split up the patch in two chunks?

The generic website patches should be based on the Website git repo at

  git://sourceware.org/git/cygwin-htdocs.git

the Cygwin docs patches on the Cygwin git repo at

  git://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git.

The docs XML files are in the winsup/doc subdir.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat