Re: Question about XP support

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 25 May 2016 at 06:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Uh oh, bad timing...
> >
> > The next release 2.5.2 introduces the first non-XP compatible code.
> > It's in a seldom used corner of the code and it doesn't require
> > functions unavailable on XP, so it will very likely not break 99% of the
> > existing applications yet.
> >
> > But the next release after will very likely break XP support entirely.
>
> Would this be something to move to 3.x because there seems to be a lot
> of people who come onto the list a lot. That way they know they can
> use 2.5.1 and that is the last 'stable' release they need to 'fork'
> from as say Cygnus-XP1 to keep going?

I like this idea.  I too have some isolated XP VM stations (mine
deliberately have zero network connection; "defender updates" do NOT
close security holes) that I currently plan to continue using until
I've learned enough programming myself to rewrite the windows only
utilities I have running in these stations.  A version change from
from 2.x to 3.x at the official end of XP support would make it a very
clean marker.

-- Erik