pulseaudio: "Connection failure: Connection refused" error, once, on first use

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup Pulseaudio for use with Speech Dispatcher.  When I
test using paplay, I get a "Connection failure: Connection refused"
error and no sound on the first try, subsequent tries produce sound
with no errors.

Steps to reproduce:

- In a minimal Cygwin64 installation, install pulseaudio package using
  setup-x86_64.exe. Make no changes whatsoever to
  /etc/pulse/daemon.conf etc.

- In Cygwin64 Terminal, run `paplay
  /cygdrive/c/Windows/Media/tada.wav` a few times, in quick
  succession. Check that all these runs produce sound, without errors.

My results:

- pulseaudio installed without errors.

- Output:
$ paplay /cygdrive/c/Windows/Media/tada.wav
W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support.
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
$ paplay /cygdrive/c/Windows/Media/tada.wav
W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support.
$ paplay /cygdrive/c/Windows/Media/tada.wav

Note: Only the last 2 runs produced sound.

My questions: Could the error indicate that there is some kind of
timing problem with autospawning pulseaudio? Can it be fixed in Cygwin
or is it an upstream issue? Could it have any negative impact on other
software? Should I disable autospawning of pulseaudio for now and
start it manually? Why the warnings on the first and secund runs of
paplay?

Kind regards,

Alain