Re: malware

On 09/06/16 17:14, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jun  9 18:02, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 09/06/2016 17:52, Jack Adrian Zappa wrote:
Are you referring to the 83.dotm file?  Looks highly suspicious.  o.O

It is clearly spam or worse.

But some of them will always pass whatever filter the cygwin mail
server is implementing.
Some of them are reaching any mailbox also company's one.
I can only agree with Marco.  Sourceware is running an agressive spam
assassin and what not which gets constantly upgraded and fed with known
spam regulary to hone the filters.  However, there's*no*  way it will
always catch all spam or virus or worm.  If so, it would probably also
catch lots of legit mails.

In fairness to the Sourceware mail filter, VirusTotal isn't decided on whether the file is malevolent or not [1]. At present, all of the major commercial AV tools pass it as clean. If it turns out to be something unpleasant then we should request the postmaster delete the mail from the archives.

Dave.

[1] - https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f2611880cfe199ef43f9de6d4b54c2fae06164a5ec2d321db086cab324954c6d/analysis/