This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: gem broken ?
- From: Marco Atzeri <marco dot atzeri at gmail dot com>
- To: Brian Clifton <brian at clifton dot me>, "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:31:29 +0200
- Subject: Re: gem broken ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5495062c-6126-609a-46e1-587a18cb8de2 at gmail dot com> <691bacce-80d7-1634-2959-4844fb3f4c50 at gmail dot com> <20160627151202 dot GA8096 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <BL2PR03MB228B6D4E603319029769AB0DF210 at BL2PR03MB228 dot namprd03 dot prod dot outlook dot com>
On 27/06/2016 18:18, Brian Clifton wrote:
On Jun 27 15:53, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 27/06/2016 15:19, Marco Atzeri wrote:
on both 32bit and 64 bit (W7 X86_64)
$ cygcheck -c rubygems
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
rubygems 2.4.8-1 OK
$ gem list
ERROR: Loading command: list (Fiddle::DLError)
can't load kernel32
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `invoke_with_build_args' for nil:NilClass
First reported on
it seems a consequence of cygwin 2.5.2
Commit 8a31aa3 introduces the problem. The patch disallows to dlopen
libs without specifying the file extension. This was originally intended
by commit df958670 but only worked for paths, not simple filenames.
AFAICS this is a more a ruby problem than a Cygwin problem. It tries to
dlopen a DLL called "kernel32". But dlopen is POSIX, so it should not
assume that an extension is added automatically, just as this isn't done
Hmm, I'm undecided if this should be fixed in ruby or if we need a
Cygwin 2.5.3 reverting this patch...
I ran into this too on Saturday night- I ended up opening the Fiddle file in question and putting the full path (including the extension) to fix the issue. Wish I would have tried with just the extension
The weird thing is- after upgrading, I tried reverting ruby and ruby-gems to older versions but had no luck. Corinna, where did a change occur that caused this to happen? You mention dlopen, which package is this a part of?
revert cygwin from 2.5.2 to 2.5.1, dlopen is a system call provided
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple