Re: rebaseall ate my homework (Windows 10 install, that is)?

Achim Gratz writes:

> Henry S. Thompson <ht <at>> writes:
>> I [just sent] setup.log.full, which I don't _think_ shows anything going
>> wrong...
> You'll have to find out why rebase gets into your Windows system directory.
>  Check which files in /var/cache/rebase have these

> [...]
>   /c/WINDOWS/system32/imgutil.dll
>   /c/WINDOWS/system32/msshooks.dll
> [...]

None of them do :-(.

> and what the content of /var/lib/rebase/* is.

Just perl and python in dynbase.d, pointing to /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
and /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages respecively.

> When you say "reinstall", was that a clean install into a new "C:\C64"
> directory

To be careful and clear, the _first_ time the problem happened (i.e.,
Windows became unusable after a reboot), was after a normal run of
setup-x86_64 which updated Cygwin to 2.5.2.  The subsequent timeline

 Reinstall Windows 10, preserving partitions/files
  (this works for some time, as do Cygwin tools after I add
   /c/C64/bin to my PATH.  A number of reboots, w/o difficulty)

 Run setup-x86_64, pointing to local disk for packages and installing
 into C:\C64, and downgrade Cygwin to 2.5.1 (only because setup didn't offer to
 reinstall 2.5.2).  No other packages installed.
  (again, this works for a while)

 First reboot fails, Windows is unusable
  My suspicions are aroused that the 2.5.2 / 2.5.1 installs are causing
  the problem, just because of the proximity of the failures

 Reinstall Windows 10 _again_, again preserving partitions/files
 Immediately run setup, reinstall 2.5.1 (again, from local disk and to
 C:\C64) and reboot
  Windows is unusable

> or did you try to install over an older installation?

So I never changed my Cygwin install directory, as I wanted to keep my
(large) home directory in play

> If the latter, did you perhaps link into the Windows systems directory
> from somewhere inside your Cygwin installation?

I don't _think_ so.  What kind of link (cygwin vs. windows) would have
even been able to confuse rebase?

> Also, you seem to have modified the cygpath prefix, which potentially
> might be the source of your problem.

I did that five years ago at least, and it's a modification many others
do as well, I believe, so not sure how that could explain things.

Thanks very much for suggestions, please keep them coming!  As I guess
should be clear, I _can_ access my disk from the Windows recovery
console, and even run individual (Cygwin) programs, so further
archaeology is still possible.

                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: