Re: rebaseall ate my homework (Windows 10 install, that is)?

Achim Gratz writes:

> Henry S. Thompson <ht <at>> writes:
>> > You'll have to find out why rebase gets into your Windows system directory.
>> >  Check which files in /var/cache/rebase have these
>> > [...]
>> >   /c/WINDOWS/system32/imgutil.dll
>> >   /c/WINDOWS/system32/msshooks.dll
>> > [...]
>> None of them do .
> That is only possible then if you've tried some manual rebase and have these
> DLL still recorded in /etc/rebase.db.* -- in which case you should be able
> to recover by doing a full rebase (which removes the existing rebase
> database as the first step).
>> To be careful and clear, the _first_ time the problem happened (i.e.,
>> Windows became unusable after a reboot), was after a normal run of
>> setup-x86_64 which updated Cygwin to 2.5.2.
> Again, given what you say about the content of /var/cache/rebase this is
> only possible if you've previously added those DLL to the rebase database.

Thanks, that's it!  A week or so ago I did a rebase of some of my own
compiled dlls, and that seems to have added a large volume of windows
dlls to rebase.db.x86_64, including hal.dll :-(.

Not sure how to execute "[recovery] by doing a full rebase" -- I tried a
vanilla rebaseall, but that doesn't seem to have flushed the database,
although the date on it did change. . .

Thanks again,

                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: