Re: Repairing permissions after windows reinstall

Greetings, Henry S. Thompson!

> Good news: My cygwin file tree survived a Windows (10) reinstall
> Not-so-good news: I have a new SID, so not only do I not own those files
> any more (that's easily fixed), but I don't have the permissions I
> should, because they are now held by some miscellaneous old SID.

So, what? Go to top directory properties, Advanced, Owner tab, Change, and
change the owner to what is desired.

> In fact I see _two_ raw SIDs when I look at the security tab for any
> directory in the old cygwin tree: one has Full control, and the other
> just Read & execute.

> I presume the first is the old me, what's the second?

If you write these SID's it would be easier to tell.

> Can this be easily fixed, i.e. put me back where I used to be?

As Corinna said, this can be fixed, you just have to fake a valid UID for old
user to jumpstart the process.
Obviously, you would need to run the script as administrator account to work
on the permissions changes.

With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Friday, July 1, 2016 08:55:58