This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: cygstart.exe can't open file:///C:/
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Brian Inglis <Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:32:35 +0300
- Subject: Re: cygstart.exe can't open file:///C:/
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp14.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <CAPTiy3MdAdrLnLY5C3+Ye48=eyha_+XW=CEdZBJHodvxJjsGrA@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAPTiy3MMUfDQjDt9D=OBMdLy7KNGhdS5a3AdHS4coTamDZ7Tww@mail.gmail.com> <loom.20160705T200540firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Brian Inglis!
> Gene Pavlovsky <gene.pavlovsky <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> On 4 July 2016 at 04:10, Juan Miguel Navarro Martínez wrote:
>>> On 2016-07-04 at 01:51, Gene Pavlovsky wrote:
>>>> cygstart‘s manpage says it’s similar to the Windows command-line start command.
>>>> However, cygstart file:///C:/ results in an error message: Unable to
>>>> start 'C:\cygwin\c\': The specified file was not found.
>>>> The Windows start command opens file:///C:/ links in the default browser
>>>> without a hitch.
>> Juan, thanks for this, it does work. (on my system I setup `cygdrive` to be
>> `/mnt` using fstab, though).
>> But I think the C:/ syntax should be supported as well. After all, `ls C:/`
>> works correctly on Cygwin.
> cygstart file://C:/ works - read the MS DN and MS KB articles on file URIs
> and shlwapi
Which isn't quite right. "file:" is a protocol, "//" is the foreign host mark,
"[.]/" is "current host's filesystem root".
So, I guess, the CORRECT solution (or, rather, workaround) would be an
explicit "." in host name.
Works here. Please try it yourself.
With best regards,
Thursday, July 7, 2016 17:29:00
Sorry for my terrible english...