This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: symbolic linls
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: David Macek <david dot macek dot 0 at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 04:16:31 +0300
- Subject: Re: symbolic linls
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp3m.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, David Macek!
>> As i understand Cygwin will soon no longer support Windows XP resp.
>> 2003. This means that only Windows versions with native symbolic link
>> functionality will be supported after that. Would it be possible to use
>> only native symbolic links throughout esp. during setup.exe?
> Short answer: No.
> Long answer:
> There are limitations to NTFS symlinks, other than OS support, that make
> them incompatible with POSIX symlinks. See
> <https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-symlinks> and
> <https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Symbolic-Links> for more information.
There's limitations, yes. But what do you mean by "incompatibility" ?
With best regards,
Wednesday, August 10, 2016 04:16:00
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple