Re: Trouble installing to UNC path and/or mapped network drive

Greetings, Andreas Wettergren!

>> Greetings, Andreas Wettergren!
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > We have a shared Cygwin environment installed to a Windows network
>> > share at my workplace, and I have been assigned the task to update it
>> > (along with installing a Perl program I wrote + dependencies).
>>
>> I'll just throw in a note that the way Cygwin operates discourages any
>> "shared" setup scenario.
>> If you want a stable set of packages, your only real solution is a local package
>> mirror.
>> For more information, look up the "rebase" in Cygwin documentation.
>>

>> --
>> With best regards,
>> Andrey Repin
>> Tuesday, August 23, 2016 12:58:57
>>
>> Sorry for my terrible english...

> Thanks for your reply.

> Noted, but maybe we are talking about different types of sharing?
> In our scenario we are actually using the Cygwin installation as a shared multi-user system,
> we are not sharing the just the installation packages for multiple installations like a mirror.

Yes, I did warn you about exactly that scenario. Especially dangerous for
32-bit Cygwin you are using, which has scarce address space to rebase DLL's to.
It may work for cloned systems with stable set of applications installed, but
once you encounter a system with somewhat different address space layout, the
things will start to fall apart.

> It's a bit wild if you ask me :)
> If I didn't use it every day I wouldn't think that sort of setup would work in practice.
> There are some valid reasons it has been set up this way, but it does come
> with some special headaches as well...

> I'll look into rebase anyway, thanks for the tip.

> (BTW, my original issue has been resolved, for details see my reply to Erik)

Yes, I've seen it.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin