Re: I sent in a bug report and never heard anything back

On 2016-08-26 08:30, jeff@jeffunit.com wrote:
In reference to http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2016-08/msg00261.html
I wrote:
I have a small program that generates an internal compiler error.
This only happens on a new dell notebook with an Intel 3825U pentium .
The code compiles and runs fine on an older xeon and amd processors.
Enclosed is the output of cygcheck.
Here is what happens when I try to compile:
sh-4.3$ gcc bug_f2.c
bug_f2.c: In function 'Round':
bug_f2.c:23:5: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
     return floor(d + 0.5);
     ^
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
sh-4.3$ exit
Here is the source code:
/#include <string.h>             /* strlen */
#include <math.h>               /* floor */
#include <limits.h>             /* INT_MAX, INT_MIN */
#include <assert.h>             /* assert */
/*+Input:       A double.
   Output:      Rounded input.
   Action:      Rounded input. +*/
extern double Round(double d)
{
    return floor(d + 0.5);
}
Marco Atzeri wrote:
the code compile on both 32bit and 64 bit version of gcc
for me.
As it is a not stand alone program
  gcc -c  bug_f2.c
should be used.
My reply:
Thanks for noting the code compiles on 32 and 64 bit architectures.
The code is over a decade old, and has compiled and worked on many ersions
of cygwin
and linux. I specifically mentioned it compiled on cygwin with different
processors.
That was never in question.
The issue is the internal compiler error coming from gcc on my dell with a
specific
intel processor. An internal compiler error does not mean the source code
has a syntax error,
it means the compiler has a bug (which I suspect is related to the
specific cpu).
Based on my experience, the two most likely possibilities are:
1) somehow my cygwin installation is bad. That is why I included the
output of cygcheck.
2) there is a cpu specific internal compiler error with gcc.
If 1) is the case, it is possible there is a bug with the cygwin
installer. If 2) is the case,
then the bug should be reported to the gcc maintainers. Since the compiler
is a bit old,
I suspect they will say update the compiler, which is likely something
that cygwin should
do ao it may benefit everyone, not just me.

Run Cygwin setup to upgrade everything pending, reboot, and retest.
If the compile still fails, provide the info below.

You don't specify or provide many details so add the following
command inputs and outputs to your report here:
* system:		uname -srvmo
* processors:		cat /proc/cpuinfo
* memory:		cat /proc/meminfo
* compiler:		gcc --version
* preprocessed source:	gcc -dM -E bug_f2.c

Report those here, and with your source, description,
and link to your detailed post here, in a bug report at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/
and you may get a better response.