Re: bash: igncr shell option breaks my PS1 prompt

Re-posting a reply I got from Henri (aka Houder) houder@xs4all.nl
His letter follows:

Hi Gene,

Reread your entry to the mailing list ...

> Apparently the latest bash in Cygwin modified the read builtin to use
> Cygwin-specific shell option igncr to control ignoring \r characters
> in the input (still not clear if that ignores \r\n sequences, or \r
> followed by anything else will be also ignored).

Yes, I have the same problem (Eric is unclear).

As far as I can tell (by experimenting) _all_ \r 's are being removed in
4.3.43 and above (after 'set -o igncr' has been issued).

... 'help set' (on the bash prompt) only refers to line-endings, as far
as I can remember (I am on Linux now).

Eric should clarify ...

------

Apparently the whole affair started with an entry by Mikhail Usenko:

 - https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-09/msg00491.html
  - Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-4.3.39-2

As far as I can gather, he discovered that a sequence of an odd number
of \r 's before \n were reduced to the same sequence MINUS one (that is
to an even number of \r 's).

(meaning Window line-endings were converted: \r\n -> \n)

... to Mikhail this was a bug ...

Eric reported to have found the problem in the 'read' builtin here:

 - https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-08/msg00093.html
  - Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-4.3.39-2

(yes, a year later)

Then Eric announced 4.3.43 here:

 - https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-08/msg00094.html
  - [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-4.3.43-5

A new release of bash, 4.3.43-5, has been uploaded and will soon reach a
mirror near you.  It leaves 4.3.42-4 as the previous version.

NEWS:
=====
This is a minor build that incorporates an upstream bug fix, as well as
disables some old cruft in upstream code that tries to use O_TEXT in the
'read' builtin, but instead ends up eating the character after a
carriage return that is not followed by a newline, even when full binary
operation is desired [1].  With this build, the read builtin now honors
the Cygwin-specific 'igncr' shell option, just like has previously been
done in command substitution and script reading, meaning that you get
binary behavior by default, but enabling 'set -o igncr' makes it
impossible for 'read' to see a carriage return. <====

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-03/msg00045.html

I had to read this announcement several times before I came up with an
understanding that agreed with the result of my experiment ;-)

(my last e-mail on this issue :-)

Regards,

Henri