Re: setup.exe to have Install button

On 2016-09-08 08:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2016-09-08 06:59, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
Just in case anyone's collecting change requests
against Setup.exe, here's a simple one that I'd
like to see:

All screens until the final screen display a "Next>"
button. Typically, after launching, I just click
this button until I get to the list of packages to
review, but this screen also has a "Next>" button.
Clicking it installs the packages.

My request is for the button on this screen to be
changed to "Install", to better convey to the user
that we are have completed the question-answer
screens and are at the final screen before the
actual installation.

I would request just a little more for the Install view:
after making selections and clicking Next button,
change to Pending view with all selected packages displayed.

Could this also show required new or upgraded dependent packages?

Also just checking setup.log, I noticed it had ballooned to 55MB:
I found that recent setup_x86_64 releases appear to be spinning
on file replacement, trying thousands of times a minute to replace
a file before giving up!

Could this be replaced by exponential backoff sleeps of say 1, 2,
4, 8, 16, 32s, before either: asking the user whether to continue,
or setting up reboot replacement of the file, and warning the user.

If the Search Indexer is examining a file, or it is in use in a
Scheduled Task, giving the other task quiet time to finish seems
more likely to eliminate contention than loading the system with
failed accesses.

Having removed the hundreds of thousands of repeated lines:
"io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/usr/bin/...) failed 13 Permission denied
Failed to open cygfile:///usr/bin/... for writing.
Not replacing in-use file cygfile:///usr/bin/..."
setup.log is back to a reasonable 1.5MB since I first installed
cygwin643 years ago.

Checking cygwin32 setup.log I am glad to see it has only reached
a meagre .5MB since its last reinstall 4 years ago, with annual
updates or a bit more frequent when building or checking cygports.