Re: gdb : Exception in SetThreadName(unsigned long, char const*) () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

On 09/09/2016 05:15, Reto Huber wrote:
I am using cygwin for quite a while. Yesterday I did update.
Everything seemed to work smooth. Today I figured out that gdb does no
longer work debugging my project. Even a simple "Hello World" can not
be debugged anymore. The executable itself runs ok. Here the example

Thanks for reporting this problem, and the test case.

gdb: unknown target exception 0x406d1388 at 0x7639c54f

Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.

This is related to the thread name support added in 2.6.0

The exception used to pass the thread name to the debugger is supposed to be caught internally if the debugger doesn't handle it, but this doesn't seem to be working correctly on x86.

Can you give me a hint how I can fix it? Can anyone reproduce the issue?

At the moment, the workaround would be to downgrade to Cygwin 2.5.2, or to update to the gdb 7.11.1-1 test release (which has explicit handling for these thread naming exceptions)