Re: Unknown+User Unix_Group+505 on smb shares in a domian

Wayne Porter wrote:
The server that the W: drive is mapped on is not using domain accounts. As far as I know,
all Linux servers we have are running local accounts. Is there something I can set in
my local /etc/passwd to convince Cygwin to map it to my user account?
---
	Let me phrase this differently.

	The linux accounts that are not in your domain and are under
private user-names, are NOT something that you have "write" permission to.
It sounds like those users (users outside your domain -- and not within
your administrative group) have allowed "anyone" to have read access, but
it makes sense that they wouldn't trust "anonymous" (that's you, if you
haven't authenticated against their machine).  You seem to be asking
for access to files owned by people outside your group (or maybe outside your company, for that matter, it's not known).
	The Domain is a means to provide common trusted access to a group
of people who have agreed to honor each others' permission settings.  Right
now, the linux people are not in a common-trust group, so you can't force
your wanted access upon them.

	Until you and their machines share a common security token (the Domain
token), you can't have shared permission settings.
	Alternatively , you might be able to convince the linux people to
give you an account on each linux machine, and use that login when attaching
to a share on that linux machine -- but that would be a pain.  Certainly,
if they agreed to use a common domain and shared things with other domain
users, that would be easier, but until they agree to be in a common domain,
you can't force your desired access upon them.