Re: Unknown+User Unix_Group+505 on smb shares in a domian

Wayne Porter wrote:
	Essentially you have a bunch of users on different machines that aren't
sharing their files under any common (or shared) security authority
(like a single domain).  Until you persuade the owners of those linux machines
to move the linux machines under a common security authority (like a windows
domain) and moving the user accounts into the domain.  Each local account
would have to be moved to a domain account with the files under each
machine-local account being moved (or "chown'ed") to the new, corresponding
domain account).

The shares are mapped and working just fine in Windows. To IT, there isn't
anything that needs to be done. It just happens that Cygwin, which I'm the only
one using, maps the Windows mapped drives to an unknown user account and makes
using it difficult.
---
	Working in windows where?  What does "working just fine in Windows" mean?
That people in explorer on your machine have read+write access to the linux-shares?

	Or do you have domain access to the machines running Windows?
Are those machine in your Domain or are they outside your domain like the linux
machines?

	This is an organizational problem that has nothing to do with
cygwin, but whether windows and linux machines are using domain or machine-local
security.  Until your linux machines and their local user become part of the
domain, you can't expect any "write" privileges granted to you under the
domain to work on the linux machines.

I have write permissions on those machines from Windows. Cygwin thinks I don't so
files are opened in read-only mode but when I force them to be written, it works.
I'm not sure if maybe I left this out of my initial information, but these are
shares that are mapped in Windows on login and there are no issues there, but once
I open Cygwin, I don't appear to have write access even though I do.
---
	If you have write access, then you are saying the permission are not displaying
properly in Cygwin. So do you have the same, *actual* access in Cygwin as windows (ignoring what permissions may be displayed)? It could be that you have domain-admin
access and are overriding listed permissions on remote machines.  If it's the case
that your user doesn't have R+W access, but you are a domain admin, you might just
be overriding the write-restrictions in windows as well as cygwin.

When mapping the drives in Windows, a username and password are given. Is there no
way to let Cygwin know about that username without joining the servers to the domain?
I know that this setup isn't ideal, which is why I'm trying to find a work-around.
---
	Bingo!  You need to try something like
"runas [alternate credentials + alternate password] net use W: ..."

That might work... but is really icky, since you can't easily automate that
without storing the password in clear-text in some file in your profile... that's
not a good solution.