Re: WinXP is dead [WAS: 2.6.x: broken compatibility with Wine],

> On Nov 10 04:21, Andrey Gursky wrote:
> > Hi cyg Simple,

> > > This has been answered.  The problem with supporting XP into infinitude
> > > is that every application would need to agree to do the same.
> > > Improvements to the OS API would not be able to be used so there are
> > > trade-offs for the continued support of an OS that is no longer
> > > supported.  The code becomes unwieldy to maintain because a change needs
> > > to be tested on other systems.  Security maintenance becomes impossible
> > > because the OS vendor no longer supports the older OS.  There is the
> > > cygwin time machine, USE IT if you need old software for old OS.
> >
> > Thanks for your reply (however I haven't received it, because you
> > likely didn't click on "reply all"?).
> >
> > Do you refer to the recent message [1]?
> >
> > Regarding cygwin time machine. I can't use it, since cygwin is compiled
> > for MSYS2. And then it is being run under Wine on GNU/Linux. While
> > WinXP is still not dead, Wine is definitively not an old OS. It's just
> > an active project doing WinAPI implementation from scratch according to
> > documentation. Thus I hope Cygwin developers could talk directly to
> > Wine ones to find the minimum needed changes in both projects.
>
> Ending XP support was announced last year and only a year later we
> actually dropped it.  So we don't support Windows XP anymore, but we
> *would* support Wine.  However, the problem here is not on the Cygwin
> side.
>
> It seems Cygwin under Wine was not tested outside of XP compatibility
> mode, or Wine doesn't support certain post-XP functions albeit claiming
> Vista caompatibility.  Cygwin doesn't require any functionality which
> isn't available in Vista.

Corinna,

sorry, I missed that early announce. Is there any link? Since I'm aware
only of almost "last minute" MSYS2 mail [1] referring to your recent
announce.

If I understood you correctly, previously discussed changes in Cygwin
itself are not considered anymore and from now Wine is really left
alone with this issue?

Regards,
Andrey

[1] Announcement: msys2-runtime 2.5.1 -- last version to support XP/2003
    30. June 2016
    https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/mailman/message/35191999/

P.S. I didn't receive your message also. Does Cygwin mailing list
program strips my E-Mail address (though I see it in the archive)?
(And it even can't guess a possibly follow-up :( )