Re: XWin server, idle, using lots of CPU time

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

> Assume you're using W7 Pro 64 as you're using Cygwin 64.
> How big, fast, and full is your disk?

512GB SSD, tons of free space.

> How much memory is installed/used/free in Resource Monitor?

Laptop has 16GB installed.

> Have you a lot of services started that you don't use?

None that I did not have with the older laptop, which also ran Windows
7 (Enterprise instead of Pro).  It's just the Xwin process that's
taking constant CPU time, none of the others are (other than System
Idle and a blip or two from other processes).

> Are you seeing many pageins/pageouts?

I turned on every column in Task Manager.  Looking at just XWin.exe,
*none* of the values in any column are changing while it's chewing up
CPU time.

> How much paging space is allocated?

pagefile.sys is 4 GB:

11/10/2016  11:00   4,294,967,296  pagefile.sys

> Try allocating 2*physical memory size as paging space.
> If that helps, you may want to add more or faster memory if
> you only have 4GB installed, or most of it is used, with
> low free.

I changed to system managed size, it went up to 16GB. Rebooted, but it
made no difference.

- Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us