Re: WinXP is dead [WAS: 2.6.x: broken compatibility with Wine]

Hi Peter,

On 11/11/2016 1:15 AM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016, Herbert Stocker wrote:

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:11:16 +0100
From: Herbert Stocker <hersto@gmx.de>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: WinXP is dead [WAS: 2.6.x: broken compatibility with Wine]

Hi,

Greetings, Herbert,

On 10.11.2016 04:21, Andrey Gursky wrote:
Regarding cygwin time machine. I can't use it, since cygwin
is compiled for MSYS2. And then it is being run under Wine
on GNU/Linux.

So we have two people who have difficulty using time machine.

i did download setup.exe and the binary packages of the last
version with XP support using the "Download but don't Install"
feature of setup.exe . (But i never tested if it's usable).

I don't understand.  What difficulty did you have?  It sounds like you
successfully downloaded (I presume) the 32-bit packages from the Time
Machine?  What was difficult about it?  I really want to know.
If it's just *slow*, well, yes, that's a know problem. :-/

No, i did not have any difficulty with the time machine. Simply
because i did not download from it as i was not aware whether
something like this existed, and time was short.

There was another mail where somebody indicated they had difficulty
with time machine iirc.

If there are no Problems with time machine i see no need to provide
another copy of something.
Unless you'd need a mirror.

Also, did you pull the source packages?

No. Was too much clicking involved with setup.exe and i thought i'd
never compile these old sources anyway.

Now i know more. The great thing called open source software is not
complete if without source. It's just usable then.

best regards,
and thanks for maintaining a history of Cygwin.

Herbert