Re: Complaining after fair notice of dropping XP support. Was: Not very nice at all.

Greetings, Erik Soderquist!

> The automation details are primarily what I'm after, though it could
> have been something like ZFS with deduplication turned on

You can, indeed, achieve similar level of magic of a general purpose savings
with ZFS or BTRFS.
I'm using BTRFS snapshots to keep intermediate copies of a working partition.
It's nearly 400GB of data, and I keep ~10 copies of it (a week worth of daily
plus 3 for month of weekend copies). All on ~800GB of RAID6 space.

> I'm wondering if I could apply your automations to a few background
> projects I'm working on

> Would also be interesting to see how cleanly the existing setup could
> be mirrored knowing the details of the automation... rsync would
> happily copy the symlinks, and once created, a Time Machine mirror
> *should* be able to "stay in sync" with the original time machine by
> pulling from the cygwin main sources in the same manner.

I can imagine so.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin