Re: case sensitivity on Windows 7 Enterprise with NTFS drive

On Nov 18 10:32, cyg Simple wrote:
> > On Nov 18 13:59, Matthias Herz wrote:
> >> Dear Cygwin Team,
> >>
> >> on my cygwin installation I have problems with case sensitivity although I
> >> did everything described here:
> >> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesens=
> >>
> >> I really need case sentitivity since I would like to use OpenFOAM (c++ cfd
> >> library) inside cygwin and OpenFOAM has a bunch of files like scalar.H and
> >> Scalar.H.
> >>
> >> The minimal example for my problem is:
> >>
> >> This gives me
> >> test1
> >> |-- file.txt
> >> |-- File.txt
> >>
> >> This means touch is somehow case sensitive but
> >> fails with the message:
> >
> > Works for me, I just tested it on a local NTFS.  Is the file tree on
> > some remote FS by any chance?  If so, what Fs is it?  Some FSes are
> > known to have (not so) funny bugs when deviating from Windows defaults.
> > Or, was the CWD set the same way when calling mkdir vs. when calling cp?
> > If you use Windows path rather than POSIX paths, case sensitivity won't
> > work since WIndows paths ar handled with Windows default assumptions.
> >
> > Bottom line is, I *know* it works, and it does so since Cygwin 1.7.1.
> > There must be some quirk in either your FS or in your path handling.
>
> As I said already, this simply isn't a portable solution.
>
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 xxxxxx 2.6.0(0.304/5/3) 2016-08-31 14:32 x86_64 Cygwin
>
> $ mkdir A
>
> $ mkdir a
> mkdir: cannot create directory ‘a’: File exists
>
> $ rmdir A
>
> $ touch A && ls -l A
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cygSimple cygSimple 0 Nov 18 10:26 A
>
> $ sleep 60 && touch a && ls -l A
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cygSimple cygSimple 0 Nov 18 10:27 A
>

> My installation is on the native C:\ drive that is NTFS.

You didn't follow
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive
so it's clear that this doesn't work for you.  And it wouldn't be
accepted into the Cygwin distro because that would require that it
also works with case sensitivity off.  However, as long as it's just
the OPs build environment, it's fine.  After all, that's one scenario
case sensitivity support in Cygwin was added for.

Corinna

Red Hat