Re: Cygwin 64 problem

On 11/27/2016 9:03 AM, Girish Joglekar wrote:
Hi Ken,
Thank you for your reply on the Cygwin mailing list. I have created a
slightly smaller test example smaller than what I had created in Feb.
Attached is a tar file. After make insall if you run TEST.x and click
the Open button, it gives segmentation fault.
Hope you will be able to help.
Thank you.
Girish

Please keep the discussion on the mailing list so that people who might be able to help will see it. I personally am not familiar with X11 programming, so I'm not one of those people.

I do have a few comments, however:

1. This may be slightly smaller than your previous program, but it is still *very* far from a small test case. You really can't expect people to debug a program of this size for you.

2. I suggest that you build with -Wall (as Marco already suggested in the earlier discussion) and fix all the compiler warnings. I saw several that need attention (aside from the many "unused variable" warnings). It wouldn't hurt to also use -Wextra.

3. I also suggest that you use gdb to find out where the program is crashing and why. You made a start on that in the discussion last March, but you didn't follow through. (By the way, I recommend building without optimization; otherwise you may not be able to get accurate information about the crash from gdb.)

4. If, after the steps above, you still think the crash is due to a Cygwin bug rather than a programming error, then try to extract from your program a test case as small as possible that reproduces the crash.

Ken